It is almost impossible to avoid being involved in at least one dangerous situation in your life. And the worst part is, you never know just when or where you might find yourself in danger. But since prevention is always better than trying to seek a cure, it is best to know how to be prepared to handle such situations as well as take the necessary precautions to minimize your chances of getting into these dangerous situations in the first place.
So, here are a set of 5 social scenarios and the topmost safety rules to keep in mind for each. Read on!
Who doesn’t enjoy going out for a party every once in a while? But as much fun as it sounds, it is important to make sure you take a few necessary precautions before heading out for a soirée these days (especially if you plan on drinking at the party).
- Never leave your drink unattended. You never know when someone might just drop something into it.
- Always make sure you have arrangements for when you leave the party. For instance, if you are underage, maybe you can have your parents or an older sibling pick you up. On the other hand, if you are an adult, make sure you book a taxi or have a designated driver (read: a friend who does not consume alcohol at the party).
- Make sure you let someone from your family or friends know the complete address of the party that you are going to. This makes it easy for them to locate you if something goes wrong.
2. Car Safety
Most of us are aware of the fact that you must always wear your seat belt while driving or travelling in a car. However, there are a few more things to keep in mind to limit your chances of getting into trouble when using a car while commuting.
- Always strive to maintain a full tank of gas before you travel. You never know when you may need to make a detour or how long you will be stuck in traffic. In order to avoid the awkward situation of having your car shut down on you, it is always better to have more fuel in the tank than you expect to use during your journey.
- Make sure you roll up all your windows and lock the doors of your car before leaving your vehicle. Any thief will always be more inclined to break into a car if it is made easier for them to do so.
- If you are involved in an accident, make sure you make two important phone calls. First, if someone is injured, make sure you inform the health services. Secondly, make a call to your insurance company to have them assess the damage on your car.
- Oh, and never, ever drink and drive!
Most of us work in safe environments, but it is still important to make sure one is well aware of the dangers at one’s workplace in order to help save our lives if we ever find ourselves in a dangerous situation.
If you work in an environment that exposes you to physical threats, such as a construction site or other similar workplaces:
- Make sure you handle the work equipment in a proper manner (especially if you are using power tools).
- Always wear the protective headgear.
And if you work in an office or any other similar environment:
- Make sure you know the route and procedure to follow in case of a fire or an earthquake.
- Additionally, ensure your team or colleagues regularly practice the fire drill.
- Be sure to report any form of harassment or bullying to the HR department of your office.
4. Train, Sea, And Air Travel
Although advancements in technology have made all these forms of travel extremely safe, it is important for you to take a few necessary precautions every time you make use of these modes of transport.
- Always make it a point to familiarize yourself with the emergency exits on board at your mode of transport.
- Make sure to keep your personal belongings in your sight.
- Try and dress appropriately; you do not want to be running around in heels in case the captain calls for an emergency evacuation!
5. Concerts And Festivals
In recent times, we have heard of several grave incidents involving festivals and concerts. Therefore, it is essential to take the necessary precautions the next time you go for any such event.
- Try and avoid getting intoxicated. It is always better to have an alert mind in case of an emergency.
- Try and stay away from extremely crowded places. This will prevent you from getting caught in a stampede.
- Make sure you and your friends are aware of at least two different meeting points (in case one of them is difficult to reach or access).
You can never be too prepared in case of an emergency situation; hence, please share these tips with your friends and family. Also, let us know of your very own tips for such situations in the comments below!