Brushing, flossing, and mouthwash – that’s the holy trinity when it comes to proper dental hygiene. You skip even one of them and not only is your daily dental routine rendered incomplete, but you also stand a higher chance of developing cavities and a bad breath.
However, chemical mouthwashes have received a lot of bad rep since they have been linked to increased chances of oral cancer and a spike in your blood pressure levels (1). With that being said, the positives of a mouthwash still far outweigh its negatives, making it an absolute necessity for your oral care regime (2). And one of these benefits is the prevention and even removal of plaque.
Not a fan of chemical mouthwashes though? No problem! We’ve got the perfect recipe for a natural mouthwash for you that can help you eliminate tartar and complete your early morning teeth-cleansing ritual.
This mouthwash will not only help you remove the food bits and germs that brushing couldn’t eradicate, but it will also help prevent oral odor, leaving your mouth smelling minty fresh. Besides, making your own mouthwash has quite a few other benefits too!
Advantages Of A DIY Mouthwash
If you make your own mouthwash instead of buying one off the rack from your local pharmacy or supermarket, you stand to gain the following benefits!
1. You Have Absolute Control Over The Ingredients
The problem with medicated mouthwashes is that you have no choice but to use them as they are, even if you have a problem with a particular ingredient that’s gone into its making. However, with your own DIY tartar-removing mouthwash you get complete control over what goes into it and what doesn’t.
2. You Don’t Have To Spend Much
This DIY mouthwash for tartar removal is also inexpensive, as it is composed of ordinary kitchen ingredients that don’t burn a whole in your pocket. Besides, for the nominal cost you spend in making one, you get excellent results to boot!
3. No Hidden Chemicals
Mouthwashes that are sold commercially contain harmful additives such as artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colorants, flavoring agents, and quite a few other ingredients. However, the make-your-own mouthwash we have here is sans the ingredients that can harm your health. It’s just a healthy concoction of baking soda and other safe ingredients that cleanse your teeth thoroughly and remove all traces of tartar and harmful oral bacteria.
In fact, the primary ingredient is baking soda, which is rich in sodium bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate is known to be an excellent cleanser and, hence, beneficial for your teeth. So, what are you waiting for? Read on to discover how you could make your very own homemade tartar-busting mouthwash!
What You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 cup of cold water
- ½ cup of warm water
- A pot to mix the ingredients in
- A toothbrush
- A toothpick
How To Prepare:
- Take an empty pot and pour the baking soda in it. Now add the salt to it and mix well. Next, take the cup of warm water and dip your toothbrush in it, then take it out and apply the mixture of baking soda and salt on it. Once you’ve done that, brush your teeth with it as you would, and make sure the mixture is applied evenly on every tooth.
- Now spit it out and repeat the entire process of brushing your teeth with this mixture again, letting the mixture stay in your mouth for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the hydrogen peroxide to the warm water, mixing it thoroughly. Now gargle with it for a minute before expelling it. This will help soften the tartar on your teeth.
- The next thing you have to do is take your toothpick and clean the tartar that’s present between your teeth. Lastly, once you’re done, rinse your mouth with a cup of cold water.
- Carry out this process after your regular brushing for up to twice every week to get the best results. Within a few weeks, you’ll notice visibly whiter teeth with less plaque formation. However, remember not to treat it as a substitute for brushing as that is still vital.
- Also, when you’re carrying out this process, be careful not to swallow the mouthwash as it can be harmful when ingested, regardless of whether it’s a commercial mouthwash or a DIY one. The dangers of swallowing mouthwash include intoxication, alcohol poisoning, blindness, organ failure, and even death in extreme cases (3). So, you really have to be careful when rinsing your mouth.
Bear in mind that simply adding this mouthwash to your oral care routine is not enough. To maintain proper dental hygiene, you must brush your teeth with a good quality paste at least twice, if not thrice, every day. You must also floss to remove food that gets stuck between your teeth, and not eat or drink foods loaded with sweets. That’s the only way to sparkling and healthy teeth!